The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas) has issued new guidance for employers who wish to impose dress standards in the workplace.
The key points to bear in mind are:
- Employers should have sound business reasons for applying a particular dress code;
- Dress codes must apply to both men and women equally, although they may have different requirements;
- Reasonable adjustments must be made for disabled people when dress codes are in place;
- Employers must avoid unlawful discrimination in any dress code policy; and
- There may be health and safety reasons for having certain standards in place.
The guidance can be found here.
Contact us if you would like advice on this subject.